Under the Personal Data Protection Act (PDPA), organisations are required to appoint at least one person as the Data Protection Officer (DPO). The broad role of the DPO is to ensure that the organisation complies with the PDPA. The DPO can either be a person from within the organisation or the organisation can appoint a third-party to fulfil this role.
The roles of the DPO may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Designing and implementing the processes and policies for the handling of personal data
- Responding to queries and complaints regarding the handling of personal data
- Educating the organisation and its stakeholders as to the responsibilities and obligations when handling personal data
- Keeping up to date with the latest data protection matters
- Updating the management of the organisation of any data-protection risks and challenges which may arise
- Liaising with the Personal Data Protection Commission (PDPC) whenever required
- Evaluate the organisation’s data management process and framework to ensure that they comply with the PDPA
- Identify the areas where personal data might be compromised and implement measures to eliminate or reduce such risks
- Organise training to educate the organisation and its stakeholders of the PDPA as well as any new measures or framework that may be implemented from time to time
The DPO should be registered with the PDPC. The registration for ACRA Registered Entities has been shifted to BizFile+. You can find the eService from eServices > Others > 3. Register/Update your Data Protection Officer(s).
For Non-ACRA Registered Entities, you can register your DPO at this link.
Your organisation and DPO should also be subscribed to the PDPC’s e-newsletter, DPO Connect.
Here is a link to all of the past copies of the DPO Connect e-Newsletter.
When in doubt, seek legal advice or consult an experienced ACRA Filing Agent.
The editorial team at Singapore Secretary Services
For more useful articles and videos, visit the Singapore Secretary Services resource page.
If you would like to submit a question or would like us to do an article on certain topics, please email us at [email protected].
Other related posts:
What is a Chief Executive Officer (CEO)?
Leave A Comment