Dependant Passes are issued by the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) to family members of qualified Employment Pass and S Pass holders. The family members who are eligible are spouses and children under the age of twenty-one. To qualify, the Employment and S Pass holder must earn a minimum of SGD$6,000 a month for their spouses and children to qualify for dependant passes.
A Dependant Pass holder can be a shareholder of a company. There are no restrictions to foreigners owning shares in a Singapore company. However, if the Dependant Pass holder wishes to be a director of a company, he or she must apply for an Employment Pass (EP) with the MOM.
Gaining an EP is beneficial for the Dependant Pass holder as the validity of the Dependant Pass is dependant on the validity of the spouse’s visa. However, if the Dependant Pass holder obtains an EP to work as a director of the company, the EP will supercede the Dependant Pass. The validity of an EP is based on the employment of the EP holder with the company whom which the EP is registered under.
When in doubt, seek legal advice or consult an experienced ACRA Filing Agent.
Yours Sincerely,
The editorial team at Singapore Secretary Services
For more useful articles and videos, visit the Singapore Secretary Services resource page.